From the bright neon colors to the iconic shoulder pads, the 1980s was a decade of bold fashion choices that still influence us today. In this blog post, we’ll look back at some of the most iconic trends from the era and explore how they’ve been interpreted in modern fashion. Get ready for a fun trip down memory lane!
Introduction to 1980s fashion
The 1980s was a decade of big hair, bright colors, and bold fashion choices. While the mainstream fashion of the time was all about looking flashy and making a statement, plenty of people also embraced a more retro style.
For many people, the 1980s was the first time they were old enough to start paying attention to fashion. And while some looks from that era are best left in the past, some timeless styles have come back in recent years.
Here’s a brief history of 1980s fashion and some of the most iconic looks from that era:
- Big hair was one of the most defining features of 1980s fashion. Women (and men!) would spend hours teasing their hair into huge, voluminous styles. This look was often paired with lots of makeup, including brightly colored eyeshadow and lipstick.
- Shoulder pads were also trendy in the 80s, both in womenswear and menswear. They helped create an illusion of broader shoulders, which was seen as a sign of power and strength.
- Bright colors were everywhere in 80s fashion. Neon hues were trendy, as were patterns like animal prints or geometric shapes. Clothes were often layered with multiple colors and prints to create a truly eye-catching look.
- Denim jeans became increasingly popular in the 80s, thanks to celebrities like Madonna and Michael Jackson, who often wore them in public. They could be tight-fitting or baggy, depending on the wearer’s preference. The same applied to T-shirts, which could be plain or elaborately designed.
- The 80s also saw a surge in the popularity of athletic wear, like tracksuits and sneakers. These were often brightly colored and featured bold logos from brands like Nike and Adidas.
Finally, accessorizing was a big part of 1980s fashion. Bold jewelry was very much in vogue, as were oversized sunglasses and other statement pieces.
Popular celebrity style icons of the decade
The 2010s have been a decade of many fashion trends. Some have come and gone, but others have stuck around and become timeless classics. When it comes to celebrities, there are a few style icons that have emerged over the past ten years. Here are some of the most celebrity style icons of the decade:
- Blake Lively: Blake Lively has always had a knack for fashion. She started her career as a fashion model and quickly transitioned into acting. Over the past few years, she has become one of the most popular style icons in Hollywood. Her effortless style has led her to be featured on numerous best-dressed lists. She has often seen sporting designer labels such as Chanel, Louis Vuitton, and Christian Louboutin.
- Kendall Jenner: Kendall Jenner is another celebrity who has made a name for herself in the fashion world. The young model has graced the covers of magazines such as Vogue and Harper’s Bazaar. She is often seen wearing casual streetwear brands like Adidas and Supreme. However, she also isn’t afraid to experiment with high-end labels like Gucci and Alexander McQueen.
- Gigi Hadid: Gigi Hadid is one of the most successful models of the decade. She has appeared on the cover of magazines such as Vogue, Elle, and Glamour. In addition to being a successful model, she is also a fashion icon. She often wears edgy yet sophisticated looks that can be seen in magazines and across the runways.
- Kim Kardashian: Kim Kardashian is one of the most recognizable celebrities. She has become a style icon with her iconic curves and bold fashion sense. Her signature look consists of tight, revealing clothing and sky-high heels. Over the years, she has been featured in numerous fashion campaigns and named to several best-dressed lists.
- Rihanna: Although Rihanna started her career as a singer, she has since become one of the biggest style icons of the decade. She often experiments with different styles and isn’t afraid to take risks in fashion. From her edgy punk looks to her girly glam outfits, Rihanna always makes a statement with her clothing choices.
How other cultural influences impacted fashion in the 80s
The 80s was a decade of many fashion trends. Some were influenced by the popular culture of the time, while others were more timeless and classic. Here are some of the biggest fashion trends of the 80s and how other cultural influences influenced them:
- Neon Colors: Neon colors were all the rage in the 80s, thanks partly to the popularity of movies like “Flashdance” and “The Breakfast Club.” These bright, bold colors helped to define the style of the decade.
- Puffy Sleeves: Puffy sleeves were another big trend in the 80s. This look was often seen in formal wear as well as casual looks. It is thought that this trend was inspired by the popularity of “Gone With The Wind” at the time.
- Shoulder Pads: Shoulder pads became popular in the 80s thanks to their ability to make women look more powerful and robust. This look was also popularized by movies and TV shows such as “Dynasty” and “Dallas.”
- Acid Wash Jeans: Acid wash jeans were all the rage in the 1980s thanks to their unique look. Celebrities like Madonna and Brooke Shields popularized this trend.
- Leg Warmers: Leg warmers became a must-have fashion accessory in the 80s thanks to their ability to keep their legs warm during cold weather. They were often worn with short skirts or dresses
The 1980s fashion trends perfectly combine eclectic style and vintage flair. With its vibrant colors, bold prints, and unique silhouettes, the decade’s look is sure to make a statement in any wardrobe today. Whether you’re looking to add some retro vibes to your wardrobe or want to learn more about this iconic era of fashion, take a look back at 1980s style for an unforgettable aesthetic experience!